Tuesday, September 26, 2006

9/24, Wilkes-Barre: Thanks for the joy...

Chris and Bucky singing 'Drift AwayEdited to add--run, don't walk, to Rawkhands right now (link fixed!); Sunscreen has assembled an amazing array of photos and links from Wilkes-Barre for your pleasure. I'm operating under severe tech limitations today and can't post the way I planned, but there are some serious goodies waiting for you over there--and she just added a bit more. I'll be here. Go! And many thanks, Sunscreen! :)

First, let's get the bummer news out of the way--LMBO was groovalicious (they do what they do splendidly), but neither Bucky nor Elliott was there to enjoy the festivities. Kathy from Team Covington and her kind husband, the lovely Beesims, and I (among others) were there to represent for the Bucky fans, and he was definitely missed. The good news is that Taylor popped in to do a few numbers (he was tired, handsome and amazing--all my suspicions about what magic he'd be away from the Pop-Tarts atmosphere are now confirmed), and Ace and Chris did a truly interesting, oddly evocative version of Aerosmith's "Dream On"--probably available by now at multiple SendSpaces near you, or hit MJ's comments section for the latest links. Ace hugged Chris, gave his upcoming project a heartfelt recommendation ("I've heard his album--it is ridiculous. Rock is back!") and pretty much shared the Chrace-bonding with all and sundry.

There was something both bizarre and touching about Ace Young crooning "sing with me, sing for the years, sing for the laughter, sing for the tears" to that particular crowd. Leave it to Chris, though, to be the snarky Yang to Ace's sweet Yin. "We didn't practice this or anything," Ace began before the song, and Chris completed the sentence with "...so it has a great potential to really suck." (If you'd like to judge for yourself, here's a link. Thanks to BigTayFan for capturing it, and to Beesims for pointing it out...)

Now, about that Idols concert...off the hook? Wild? Silly? The end of the tour shows are said to be the most zany, and this one lived up to the hype. And Bucky? I am biased beyond belief, of course, but I feel his Sunday night set was his smoothest and most downright rockstarry one yet. Gone was the slight hint of fatigue; in its place was the joyful star quality of a singer who took a brutal schedule and turned it into an amazing learning experience. (Also the relieved quality of a guy who finally gets to go home and spend some quality time with his wife and family, I imagine. Edited--grrrr, slow computer, can't surf for news! A little smiley told me in in our Chatbox that Bucky left for Nashville that night--hmmm! News next post...) Bucky was good, y'all. He sang beautifully, he headbanged brilliantly, he delighted the crowd, he looked like he was having the time of his life--and I believe he just might have been.

As you probably know by now, "Drift Away" was a duet that night--Chris Daughtry, black hoodie and all, was watching Bucky's set, and Bucky beckoned him up to the stage to sing along. (Many of us still think these two need to record a song together some day--their voices blend in a lovely way, even during an impromptu song.) My only semi-decent photo was taken during that tune, but the very cool Cat from WI at MJ's caught a much better shot. (And as you've read elsewhere, this was also one of the most sentimental moments of the whole show...these guys have bonded solidly.)

And another sweet/funny moment happened right afterwards--Kellie Pickler was a little...erm, adorably fiesty that night, methinks. During "You're the One That I Want", she strutted, pouted, and gave Bucky's shirt a mighty yank, opening it perhaps a couple of snaps more than Bucky would have liked, I guess. (He's bashful...who knew?) Our flustered hero tried to sing and nonchalantly snap up his shirt at the same time, while Kellie grinned and grinned. (Oddly enough, there were no major complaints from the audience about this little wardrobe malfunction...go figure.) Our friend " :) " posted a link to a photo from about then in the Chatbox--now you know why Bucky looks like he barely suppressed a giggle...

Chris and Bucky made another joint appearance of sorts, after intermission--between "Whole Lotta Love" and "Renegade", Chris reached for a bottle of water, only to have Bucky come out on an electric scooter and do a smooth, graceful arc across the stage, barely stopping to hand Chris the bottle before smiling and waving and zooming offstage. (Big Tay Fan has that bit for you, too--thanks again!)

(Edited again to mention Kellie's first fun cameo appearance. Bucky spent a good portion of the start of "Patience" beckoning to a hooded figure up front--it turned out to be Kellie in sweats, who joined in on the chorus with the guys for the second half of the song. Awww...)

Hmmm--shall I frame it or bronze it?  It was once Bucky Covington's guitar pick...now it's mine.  Whoo!But my favorite moment in the show was pretty easy to choose. I now present to you, for the very first time, the "Incredibly Shy Person's Guide to Acquiring a Bucky Covington Guitar Pick":

  • Notice that Bucky is standing right in front of you, smiling and reaching into his pocket.
  • Shout "Bucky!" at an embarrassingly loud decibel level and smile back; faux-catching gestures optional. (You might have to suspend your Incredible Shyness for the few seconds it takes to do this.)
  • Watch carefully as a grinning Bucky throws a grey guitar pick in your direction.
  • Retrieve said guitar pick from underneath your seat. ("Whoo!"-ing like the twelve-year old you are at heart is optional, too, but highly recommended.)
Yep--that there Jim Dunlop guitar pick is mine! I'm going to be hopelessly sentimental now and say that while I am ridiculously happy to have the pick, I am even happier to have shared that millisecond of a smile. Goodness knows he's given me many reasons to smile since that cold night in February when I first heard him sing and knew I had to have his CD for the road. And if anything, I'm even more excited about hitting the highway with Bucky's debut album turned up all the way, and donning my newly-acquired straw cowgirl hat to see him singing and playing at a Big Name, hot-ticket country/rock festival or two some sunny day soon. I'm counting on that.

The first Idol show I went to was right here in Cleveland, and I recall being a little disappointed in the song choices the show's packagers made for Bucky. (Still wish he'd been able to do something a little less Idol, a little more Bucky, but hey--the doors are open now...) However, at the risk of being very, very cheesy, the lyrics of "Drift Away" really seem to fit the mood today:

Thanks for the joy that you've given me
I want you to know I believe in your song...

It's so hard to explain--and I've pretty much given up trying--but there is just something about Bucky Covington that makes me believe he's in this for the long haul. The voice, the original songs, the attitude, the determination, the ineffable "it"--it's there. I know all about past Idol history and the realities of the record business and all the rest of it, but something strong tells me that if he wants this--and I really do think he does--he can have a solid, strong Nashville career for the rest of his life. (And I'll be cheering and smiling and dancing along. Life is too short not to embellish it with some fine, fine music.)

I'll also be here blogging! The Idol season may be officially over, but the news is just beginning--some exciting times are ahead.

News post next! C'mon back...

12 comments:

  1. Thanks! My hubby and I enjoyed meeting you and I am so glad you caught Bucky's pic! Love the new header!!!!! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kathy--thanks for the compliment! It was so cool to meet you two. I couldn't resist a smiling hat photo for the autumn header... :)

    And I'm still a little glowy over that pick...how silly is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:50 PM

    Hi Winnie,

    it was so nice to finally meet you. And yes, KathyG is right---you are gorgeous (maybe that had something to do with Bucky tossing that pick in your direction.) What a beautiful recap of the WB show and the whole crazy ride we have been on since February, a ride that wouldn't have been the same without your warm, witty, informative and only occaisionally fangirly blog. It's going to be hard to adjust to no daily Bucky sightings and updates. We will just have to use our imagination and visualize him in a recording studio in Nashville singing the kind of songs he never got to showcase on the show or on the tour. Again, really great to meet you and MJ and her peeps. If you are ever in NY on a buying trip. give me a holler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:01 PM

    Hi,
    I'm SOOO happy for you that you got to go to the concert, since Bucky didnt go to LiMBO.
    And the pick, how great is that? Almost
    like the forces that be knew you would miss him at
    the aftershow, so you got that special moment instead!
    At the Tacoma show, my buddy INSISTED
    that a pick thrown in our direction was meant
    for me - she said that he was looking straight
    at me . Hm, me-thinks maybe she was just
    wanting me to be happy, but you never know.
    I couldnt see if he was looking at me or not!
    Somone near us got it off the floor.

    I'm sad about the tour being over, but happy for all of them.
    On another note - if I was Kellie, I think I'd be
    madly in love with BUcky at this point! I hope for
    her that she's not, he being married and all, but
    they had such cute chemistry!
    I hope you are well, and I'll still be reading,
    and looking forward to your Blog!
    Chan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol,

    It was really good to finally meet you, too--I wish we'd had a chance to talk a little more. (And I have to say that rumors of my alleged gorgeousness are highly exaggerated and that you and Kathy are incredibly sweet people. Your cellphone wallpaper, on the other hand, is gorgeous for sure, no drugstore makeup or Big Sexy extensions required...)

    You're so right--it really has been a wild ride, hasn't it? The next few weeks and months are going to be quiet, but yes, I'm with you on that visualization. You know, I think his debut CD will pleasantly surprise a lot of people; he is indeed a bit edgier and far more musically interesting than the show or the tour allowed him to let on. Can't wait to hear it...

    And you're making me blush; thanks for your kind words about the blog, Carol. It has been such a huge pleasure to write, and the people I've met through it are amazingly cool.

    (As a matter of fact, at the W-B concert, I got to talking with the lady sitting beside me, a very nice solo Chris fan; when she asked who my favorite was and I told her, she exclaimed "Oh, Bucky! I love Bucky! I met him in Portland--he is so sweet and so are his fans. I never met a Bucky fan I didn't like!" Our reputation precedes us, and it's positive. For anyone lurking out there...if you want to meet some very, very good people, write about Bucky Covington.)

    Speaking of writing, I tried to keep my shamefully fangirly side from overtaking the blog as a rule, but this week? I am so, so very busted...

    And yes, it would be my pleasure to give you a holler and treat you to the coffee/deli of your choice the next time I'm in NYC. Looking forward to that!



    And hey there, Chan, good to see you! You know, one of my first thoughts after the wonderful surprise of getting that pick was "Chan's not gonna believe this..."

    Hey, that pick in Tacoma might have been meant for you--I think so, especially after that nice handshake. (Your friend could have been right!) My guess is that the performers get a sixth sense for who's out there for them in the first few rows...especially if you're cheering, smiling and moving up to shake hands. :) Hope you catch one at a solo show of his next year!

    I'm going to thank you again for encouraging me to take one last trip--even though Bucky wasn't at LMBO, MJ and her great peeps were, and it was a fabulous night.

    And I'm pretty sure I read that Kellie has a boyfriend--she and Bucky are really a blast on stage and in interviews together, though, and they do have fun chemistry as well as (I suspect), a very similar, snarky sense of humor. I hope they do work together again someday--they are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Yo Buckymania! Great site. :). It was awesome meeting you in Wilkes Barre over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:43 AM

    It was great meeting all of you, as a matter of fact...

    Such a fun weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo, MJ! :) It was a true pleasure meeting you and the peeps this weekend--you know, maybe the end-of-tour MJ's Big Blog gathering should be an annual tradition?

    (Not to mention the beginning-of-Taylor's/Bucky's/
    Chris'/Elliott's/Ace's tour gatherings; heck, any excuse to get together will do... :)

    See you at your place, and thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. (P.S.: MJ, I just noticed you linked to my Buckycentric W-B recap--I am truly honored. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:12 AM

    Hi ,
    You are so welcome for the encouragement!
    I try to follow my spirit/heart, and I love to see
    other people do it , too. We all need a little nudge sometimes.
    And, oh, yes, I read that , too about Kellie, Id forgotten - I think her boyfriend is a
    policeman. Good for her. I like to think of her
    with a good man who will protect her
    during this crazy fame ride she is on.
    I plan to see BUcky on tour, definitely. Whether
    I am here or back east!
    Thanks for keeping the Bucky-love going!
    take care,
    Chan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:18 AM

    Oh, Ps,
    You might be right about the pick for me-
    I forget that the performers really can see
    people in the first rows, and I certainly
    did jump up and down and wave to him everytime he came over to our side- and
    sometimes I was the only person in our area
    standing up and dancing!
    Boy, my other friends here(in Seattle) would give me such a hard time if they knew about it!
    But they never have to know, do they?
    They wouldnt understand. They think
    AI is stupid, and dont appreciate the
    real fun and joy that it can bring
    to one if one is only open to it.
    Oh Well!
    Chan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chan, you are a sweet soul! :)

    And yes, I really do think that pick was meant for you in Tacoma. One of the things so many recaps have mentioned is how truly appreciative Bucky is of the cheering, dancing, enthusiastic fans for him out in the crowd. No doubt in my mind now--that was your pick. But even better, it's fun when you're out there cheering a terrific performer on, and they really can feel your joy. A lovely moment...

    You and I are in the same boat--I have some friends that don't even know I went to the Idol show this year. It is silly and cheesy sometimes, but at its best, it's one of the most fun and joyful experiences out there--I think it's a blast, supporting a talented newcomer as he begins to live his dream.

    Hope to see you at a Bucky show someday, out West or back East! :)

    ReplyDelete